Von der Kofferfabrik zum Hotel - Geschichte des ARIBO Wellness- und Tagung Hotels in Erbendorf

FROM SUITCASE FACTORY TO HOTEL

Originally our hotel building was well-known as the Bermas suitcase factory. Founded in Fürth in 1919, the company was set up again in Erbendorf after World War II. The company played a leading role in the production of suitcases, developing and producing the first trolley case in series. In the 1960s and 1970s it was leading in Europe and the second-largest employer in Erbendorf.

The existing production buildings were extended in the former sawmill next to Bruckmühle. A further extension was built in 1968 in Tirschenreuther Straße, which is the present ARIBO Hotel Erbendorf.

Even today there is a suitcase and bag shop in Erbendorf, with an astonishingly huge selection of finest bags.

RENOVATION AND NAMING OF THE SHIP

After the renovation of the main building and the construction of the conference centre, including a foot bridge on the first floor connecting the two buildings, a modern holiday and conference venue has been set up.

We think it was a clever idea to convert the historical building into a hotel. But you never know! Maybe some of our guests’  suitcases return to their origin?

With its architecture our hotel is similar to a cruiser, and therefore it was named after a famous person, as usual with ships. The patron saint of our hotel is Duke AriboII, the official founder of the town of Erbendorf. A thousand years ago he founded a monastery here, authorized by a letter from Pope Paschalis. In his memory we christened our hotel ARIBO.